Responsible for preparing and serving a full range of food for school meals under minimal direct supervision. Assist with
all aspects of production and service of meals; cooking, line setup, replenishment, and operating point of sale system including cash collection. Clean all food preparation and service areas; label, date, and store leftover food. Clean kitchen equipment, surfaces, and floors. Comply with Health Department standards, all safety procedures, departmental policies and procedures and all applicable state and federal regulations. Display exceptional customer service skills. Position will also include trainer responsibilities that require positively training and leading kitchen teams on best kitchen practices as determined by the department. This is a relief and training position that will require daily travel to various PSD sites as needed, including any PSD kitchen, the Child Nutrition offices and Child Nutrition warehouse, with the potential of traveling to multiple sites in the same shift. Mileage is reimbursed if using personal vehicle.
1. Assist with meal reparation by cooking, pre-portioning, setting up serving lines, condiment stands, and fruit and vegetable bar. Prepare food items according to recipes and menus. Control food and kitchen waste. Maintain daily production records accurately.
2. Clean kitchen equipment, utensils, work areas, tables, floors, and appliances. Properly maintain equipment. Empty kitchen trash and recycling containers. Sweep and mop kitchen floors.
3. Serve food and provide customer service and communication to students, staff, and community.
4. Train and lead kitchen teams on best kitchen practices as determined by the department, including food safety, cooking, proper equipment use and cleanings, point-of-sale, marketing, and USDA and Larimer County Health Department requirements.
5. Operate point-of-sale system, including preparation and processing of accurate payments, dayend reports, and money deposits; verify correct amount of change in cash box daily.
6. Properly receive, check-in and store food and equipment from warehouse and vendors. Maintain, date and label food for storage. Perform inventories as scheduled and assist manager with food and supply orders.
7. Maintain compliance with Health Department standards, including high standards of sanitation and safety. Adhere to state, federal and department guidelines, safety procedures, departmental policies, and regulations.
8. Provide kitchen manager relief as needed. Provide department expertise and positive team leadership to ensure kitchen team is operating positively and effectively per department and district guidelines.
9. Provide clerical duties in the Child Nutrition Department office and warehouse as needed.
10. Attend work and arrive in a timely manner.
11. Attend all required departmental trainings.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or completion of G.E.D
• Previous institutional food service experience required, 2 years of experience in PSD’s Child Nutrition Department strongly
• Equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
• Criminal background check required for hire
• Valid Colorado driver’s license
• ServSafe certification
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
• English language skills
• Ability to count money and make change
• Basic reading, writing, and math skills
• Ability to communicate positively with customers, staff, parents, supervisors, and community members
• Ability to work as a team
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Interpersonal relations skills
• Customer service skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
• Knowledge and skills in food preparation, service, and efficiency
• Knowledge and expertise in PSD’s Child Nutrition Department’s procedures, policies, guidelines, and practices
• Ability to work various shift times, including early mornings
• Ability to train and lead kitchen staff
• Ability to maintain honesty and integrity in all aspects of the job
• Ability and willingness to adhere to attendance requirements, including regular and punctual employee presence
• Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent policies, and building and department procedures
• Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with people from diverse ethnic and
• Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate
safety equipment, and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT OPERATING KNOWLEDGE:
• Operating knowledge of and experience with personal computers and peripherals
• Ability to use a calculator and learn the point-of-sale accounting system
• Basic operating knowledge of and experience with oven, steamer, dishwasher, and other kitchen equipment
Available Benefits: PTO and Paid Sick Time, Health/Vision/Dental Insurance, 401K Retirement Plan, Short-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance